A requirement of the MCA’s heritage application and to provide interpretation of the archeological remains beneath the new MCA, site is an informative, richly illustrated companion guide, packed with archival material, historical images, and evocative essays commissioned from a range of writers. Designed with both the MCA visitor and the tourist market in mind, the content investigates the history of the site – from a first Australian/pre-European perspective, to European arrival and the impact of colonial settlement, up to Sam Marshall’s design for the new MCA. A major focus is the history of the MCA building – the Commissariat stores (built 1808, demolished 1940), the post-war Maritime Services Building, the Museum of Contemporary Art – the first challenging refurbishment (how to turn a government office block into a museum) and the long-awaited extension and its realisation in 2012. The history includes information about the maritime iconography included in the MSB building, Lyndon Dadswell’s sculptural frieze on the front of the building and his memorial to Australians who fought in the two world wars; Robert Emmerson Curtis’ frieze in the Foundation hall commission for the Maritime Services Board in 1951 and Imants Tillers’ painting Pure Beauty (1991-97) in the MCA’s former entrance foyer. Integral to the publication is ‘the architect’s notebook’ – a section prepared by architect Sam Marshall documenting his research, ideas and final drawings for the new wing and the National Centre for Creative Learning.